8.01.2007

trying times and such a slacker!

what a crazy week!
My Dad went in for surgery on Monday. He was having three disks in his neck/back fused together. He did well, had some trouble breathing, they think he might have sleep apnia (spelling?) so they put him on oxygen and he did better. His throat is a little sore now, but it'll get better. They went in through the front of his neck, that's to be expected.

Since he was in all that, Steve and I took Charlie for the night. He's such a cute 4 month old, but geez! We aren't cut out for parenthood! He did great in the evening, lots of fun. He got a little fussy close to bedtime, so I took him outside (he loves outside) and showed him the neighbor's flowers and stuff and he fell asleep. We thought, great! this is easy! He usually gets up once in the night for a bottle and then sleeps until 6ish. Not that night.

He woke up at 12:30am, wide awake and wanting to play!! we played for awhile, but I think the strange house didn't help him. Around 1 he started wailing!!! really loud wailing!!! Couldn't do anything to help him!! He finally calmed down and went to sleep around 2:30, but was up for good at 4:30, wailing. Our neighbors hate us!!! It was such a terrible night! I felt so bad for him! and at 2 or 4 in the morning you aren't thinking straight. i started thinking something was wrong with him, but I took his temp and he was fine. I think it was just a strange house and he knows us but isn't used to us in the middle of the night.

Needless to say, his mommy didn't get any sleep the next day. she took him from us at 9 instead of sleeping a few hours first. I felt so bad, but I don't think I knew my own name at that point!!

Dad was released on Tuesday so I spent the afternoon over there. He's doing ok, just not sleeping well with a neck brace on. He said he feels like he can't breath like that. He was having a recliner delivered today though, that should help a little. prop him up at least. Again though, I am the terrible daughter. I was so tired yesterday it didn't even occur to me that we have a recliner and he should have stayed with us or we should have brought it over for him. I apologized this morning. I feel terrible!!

Steve and I went to bed at 7 last night, feel better today. I don't know how Amy does it!!

In the meantime, I'm sorry to everyone I meant to email in the last few days! I haven't been with it! I'll catch up tonight!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Okay, first of all, any time you have a baby that is not your own stay overnight, don't expect them to be the same as they are at home. Secondly, when the time comes for you to have your own, it is TOTALLY different and you will know what to do. If they need something, you just KNOW what to do. Don't worry, it will be okay with your own. Babies KNOW when someone else has them, and he was probably so tired he couldn't relax, either.

Second, once your dad is better, have him or somebody check with his doctor about doing a sleep study. You go to this office at night and sleep there while they hook you up to some machines to see if you stop breathing in the middle of the night. Scott has sleep apnea and he stopped breathing 700 times in one night during the study. He was always tired and felt like somebody was pushing down on his shoulders. It is pretty common. Now he sleeps with a CPAP machine and a mask on and the machine pushes the air into his throat while he sleeps. It makes a world of difference.

Hope your dad is feeling better. I will keep him in my prayers.

As far as the NeoCounter goes, go to their website from the link on my blog and it will tell you step by step how to do it. Then when the code shows up, copy it and then paste it into your blog on the Template / Page Elements page. Click on Add a Page Element and paste it there. Voila! That's it!

Glad you got some sleep.

Cher said...

Wow! Well, I'm glad your Dad is doing well. Keep us posted!

jennie said...

you both are so great! thanks for the comments! I know, Charlie didn't know our house at all and was probably a little scared. and you're right, Dad does need to do that sleep study. I don't know much about it, but my mother-in-law has that breathing machine too and loves it.