8.10.2007

crazy tornados!

what a crazy day yesterday was! ok, just about one hour of yesterday. my Mother-in-law comes in my office freaking out completely. A tornado touch down in New London and Ashland (where my neices and Father-in-Law live) and she can't get any of them to pick up the phone. (because they were probably in the basement and didn't want to go up and pick up the phone)

Then the came over the intercom at work and said a tornado touched down in Lodi (about 10 minutes from us) and the storm is heading our way. if we would like to leave we could. who wants to leave when a massive storm is coming within a few minutes??? the building is safer than the car!

Then the power went out. So we were lighting all the candles we could find, we need back-up flashlights!!!, and all had to head to what we use as a "tornado shelter" which i've never had to do in the 6 years I've been here. Scary. Only thing I didn't like was 100 people in this little area, in the pitch black, only some of us with candles. Claustrophobia. Nuts. My group and I decided we were going back to our room. Our office is in the middle of the building, they call it the "dungeon" because it used to be Nabisco's freezer (when they owned the building) so it is all concrete blocks, no windows or contact to the outside world. We were safe there.

It finally passed, but then was heading towards my area of OH. I tried my husband and he didn't pick up (we are in an upstairs apartment) so I stayed here for awhile and then went home. Steve said it was craziness. He looked out the window and saw two ladies on the hill with their cell phones taking pictures of the sky so he ran outside to see what was going on. He watched a funnel cloud cross the sky above the apartments in front of us. He's never seen anything like it. Once he saw it though he came in and sat in the laundry room!

Crazy excitement for an hour or two! I'm glad no one was hurt though, and most have power back or will today. storms are so powerful and totally amazing.

2 comments:

Cher said...

Yes, it was crazy! You know where we live........hubby wanted to watch the storm from the porch, but one look at those clouds and we were on our way to my Mom and Dad's where there is a REAL basement. It really was scarey.

Elaine Thomas said...

Wow! I am glad that you all are okay!
Elaine