8.15.2007

freelance

Freelance is an interesting business as a graphic designer. I love picking up outside jobs to do for people. You never know in the beginning what you are getting yourself into, but it's something different to work on with each project that comes along.

Sometimes you get customers that know exactly what they are looking for, but don't want to do it themselves, or don't know how to. Those tend to be the people that I have trouble with just because I have to remind myself that I am working for them, and even if I don't like the finished project it's what they want and that's my job. But those are also usually quick projects. I just did business cards for about a dozen people at this company. They told me what they wanted and the info that needed to be on there, and we were done. Simple.

Sometimes you get customers that have an idea of what they are looking for, or don't at all, and just want you to come up with something. These projects take a little more time, but end up very interesting in the end. It's a lot of trial and error. You never get it 100% right off the bat, but you start with an idea and work from there. Trial and error. That's really the fun part for me. It's interesting to see the different ideas I can come up with.

With that, I have been working on a 50th high school reunion booklet this summer. My wedding photographer's cousin contacted me with the project. It's had its ups and downs. At first I thought how fun!! there were so many possibilities! they had their yearbook from 1957 with all the class photos in it, plus photos of everyone now, and bios of most of the class. i wanted to go all out with it. Didn't work that way.

I was not understanding what they were looking for, and once I did, I really wasn't interested in the project at all. I had agreed to do it, and that's why I was doing it. Plus, I really couldn't seem to get on the same page, or have anything in common with any of these people. 10 people on the reunion committee, 68-69 years old.

But now, I'm having a great time with it and I can't wait to see how it turns out when it gets printed. I meet with all of them tonight with my "almost final" version, and it goes to print next week. There is a main couple that I've been working with, and I really like them! We're very different, but I enjoy meeting with them, and I hope they like meeting with me. I think it took both sides a little time to understand our positions and respect each other.

Just goes to show that you shouldn't make rash decisions about a project or a person right away, because over time, whether you end up liking what you are doing or not, you can learn a lot and end up having a great time.

3 comments:

Cher said...

Bravo, Jen! I love your closing comment.

jennie said...

thanks cheryl! I learned a lot through this project, and it's been fun too!

Cher said...

I've tagged you! See my blog for details.